Monday, October 13, 2014

Honey Lime Tilapia

The honey lime marinade is back in action! So a few weeks (months?) ago I shared a honey lime shrimp recipe and promised a tilapia recipe to come.  This is me making good on that promise.  The recipe and process is very similar and by that I mean it is really easy and quick.

I never know when Jess is going to be home from work  because it varies day-to-day.  So usually I prepare dinner to a certain point, wait for his text or call and then finish according to what time he thinks he will be home.  This meal is great for that because once the fish is marinated, start to finish it only takes about 10 minutes to prepare. 

Just a little plug about tilapia.  I love seafood of all kinds, but growing up is was always an eating-out kind of food.  My mom doesn't like it, so she never cooked it, and I took that to mean it was difficult.  False.  I have found so many great fish and shrimp recipes!  I love to keep a bag of frozen tilapia filets in the freezer for dinners or quick lunches when I'm home alone.  They thaw quickly and can be prepared and cooked in no time.  This recipe is lightly breaded (floured...), but you could probably just pan-fry it straight out of the marinade if you wanted to make it healthier!

Honey Lime Tilapia - 8 points per 7 oz filet (which is large!)
Zest & Juice of 1 Lime
1/2 tablespoon Olive Oil
1 Tablespoon Honey
1/4 teaspoon Salt and Pepper
1/4 teaspoon Garlic Powder
2 medium filets of Tilapia
Flour for dredging (about 1/4 cup or less)
Salt & Pepper to taste
1 tablespoon Olive or Vegetable Oil

In a bowl, combine lime juice, lime zest, 1/2 tablesppon oil, honey, 1/4 teaspoon salt, pepper, and garilc powder.

Pour into ziplock bag and combine with thawed fish filets. Let marinate in refrigerator for at least an hour, but up to 5 or 6 hours.

Heat 1 tablespoon of oil in large skillet over medium.

In a bowl, combine flour with a few dashes of salt and pepper.  When pan is hot, dredge fish in flour and lay in pan.  Cook 3 minutes on each side.


Ta-da!  I served ours with a side of rice and some roasted zucchini squash, deeeelicious! I feel like this would be a pretty good marinade for fish tacos, too...I may have to try that out soon!


No comments:

Post a Comment