Thursday, January 16, 2014

Reminiscent Days

"I haven't been everywhere, but it's on my list."

So it is the dead middle of January and I'm cold. I've got cabin fever. I have wanderlust. I just need to get out of here! It doesn't help that January has historically been my month of travel (alas, college graduation put a halt to that one).

This morning I was looking on facebook at all of the posts from my younger friends who are traveling far and wide this month and it made me think back to my own adventures. Here are some of my favorite photos from my worldly shenanigans.

Three (oh my god it has been THREE years??) years ago I went to Costa Rica and made a quick, completely sketchy and possibly illegal because there is no visible border, trip to Panama. It was incredible. 16 days wandering the rainforest, mountains, and beach. I repeat, incredible. I saw more wildlife in two weeks than I had seen in my entire life! And the best part? I totally got by just fine without knowing more than "Uno mas cervesa por favor?" in Spanish! Which for those of you who don't know, that means "one more beer please." I think. I digress.

Just a gorgeous day on the Carribean coast.
Three-toed sloth chowing down on some snackies. 
Beautiful view of a river valley through the mountains.
Gorgeous waterfall.
On the border between Costa Rica and Panama. 
Awesome and terrifying large crocodile.

Then, TWO years ago I traveled around England and Italy for two weeks. I'm a lucky girl. London is my new favorite city. Slash, not really "new" because it's one of the oldest cities in the modern world and I actually haven't been there recently. But you know what I mean. I'm a complete history and historical fiction writing addict and I know pretty much everything there is to know about the British Monarchy, particularly the Tudor family. Which, if you don't know what that means, London was like a massive museum for me. Practically every street had some sort of historical landmark on it and I was obsessed. Not to mention the Harry Potter stuff! Oh, the Harry Potter stuff! Gosh I'm just dying to go back. One day we got out of the city and headed to Cambridge, which is full of nerdy science history (the discovery of the structure of DNA, people!) and AWESOME.


Sushi for lunch on the steps of the National Art Museum
looking out over Trafalgar Square? Sure, why not!
Tower Bridge, very iconic London landmark.
Abbey Road!!!
Big Ben! (I know this looks photoshopped,
but I swear it isn't!) 
Kensington Palace, home of the Duke & Duchess of Cambridge and baby George!
(and yes, I saw Kate Middleton, STILL fangirling over it.)
If only Hogwarts were real...
The White Tower: church, prison, royal apartments. 
Italy was like something out of the movies; walking on ancient cobbled sidewalks to get gelato with the smell of leather from the purses and coats sold by street vendors. Vespas everywhere. Italian people yelling and waving their arms around, which is completely normal in everyday interactions. The Colliseum, Pantheon, Roman Forum, Roman Baths, oh my! The food. Oh my the food. I could eat pasta and olives with a glass of wine every day of my life and die a happy girl. The best part about my first European adventure? I got to enjoy it with one of my best friends and one my little sisters (have I mentioned my sorority family is huge and our family tree doesn't fit on one piece of paper and I love it? Another day.)!
Florence! 
Beautiful sunset over Florence from the top of Il Duomo.  
Medici Bridge.
St. Peter's Basilica
View of St. Peter's Square from the top of the Basilica - which we climbed to
the top of in our Sunday best straight after mass...
Trevi Fountain, making a wish to return to Rome!
So concludes my rambling about past adventures and resumes the countdown to when I can tick another off my list.

"I have left a piece of my heart in every place that I have visited."

No comments:

Post a Comment