Monday, July 28, 2014

T-shirt + Fabric = New Dress with a Sash!

So I found this gorgeous green, floral calico fabric at Joann's a few weeks ago and I knew I needed it. Oh, it was on sale, too, so no guilt! I really wanted to make a really full, high-waisted skirt with a bow, but there wasn't enough of it left, so I decided to just make a gathered dress using a t-shirt I already had in my closet.  I made it a maxi, but I'm thinking I may cut it off to about the knee or just above there.  I haven't decided.

Seriously, all you need for this dress is about 1.5 yards of fabric (you could use probably about whatever type of fabric you want, just adjust your needle & sewing tension accordingly), a t-shirt that you like the fit of, elastic thread, and basic sewing notions.

First, on the waist-end of your fabric (probably the long end), sew across using elastic thread on your bobbin and a zig-zag stitch.  This will create your loose gathers and make it able to stretch.  Fold the skirt part right-sides together and sew up to form the skirt and then turn right-side out.  Sorry, I don't have a photo of this part!


Next, put on your shirt and mark where you want the skirt part to hit and cut off right below the line, making sure to leave an allowance for you to sew your skirt section to!  I left like 2 or 3 inches, I figure it won't make much difference and I can cut it off later if I want to.

Slide your shirt down into your shirt and line up your skirt where you marked earlier, pin it.  I used seriously so many pins.

Sew right on top of the elastic, using a zig-zag stitch.

Try it on, measure how long you want it and hem it at the right place.  While I suggest ironing at most steps, it is most helpful with hems.

Now, to make the sash, cut off a strip (I had to use two and sew them together) long enough to reach around your waist and tie in a bow and about 7 inches wide.  Fold over, iron, and stitch so it is 3 inches wide.


Turn inside out.  This is time-consuming, but not that difficult.

I ironed mine so that the seam was in the back, but you could also leave it just at the bottom, it is all personal preference.

I just folded the edge in a bit and then over at a 90 degree angle and sewed that up.  There is probably a better/more professional-looking way to do this, but it worked for me.

Try it on!


I'm loving this!  I think if I cut it off this will look super cute with cowboy boots.  I may rock it at some concerts this fall.  We shall see!

No comments:

Post a Comment