Monday, September 8, 2014

Amazing Tomato Soup

So if I were being honest, I would call this Amazing, Creamy, Fire-Roasted Tomato, Basil, Parmesan, and Vegetable Soup....but that is a mouthful, so we will just go with AMAZING Tomato Soup.
I pinned this recipe from Jen at Carlsbad Cravings a while back and thought, "hey this looks pretty good, I've never made tomato soup before, maybe I'll do that soon."  I read the reviews and everyone was raving.  So, Labor Day weekend came and I was home alone (Lucky Jess was in Florida golfing and lounging), so I thought I'd make a pot of soup to eat on for a few days.

Best. Decision. Ever.

Seriously, this soup was nothing like I've ever had before.  Do not get this confused with your canned tomato soup that is smooth and velvety.  This soup is chunky, textured, and delicious.  Did I mention it is delicious?  I kind of wanted to try it out before I sprung it on Jess as a dinner, because he's not big on dinners that are meat-less, but I think he might be ok with this one. 

It was incredibly filling, but if you lowered the portions a little & served it with a piece of hearty french bread and a salad, mmmmm, amazing! I feel like you could add some more vegetables, too, maybe spinach or broccoli? We shall see, this will definitely be made again, like SOON.

I halved the original recipe and it made almost exactly 6 cups of soup, which if you're doing WW, that is 5 WWP+/cup.  I split mine up into containers (home alone and eating on it for days) with one and a half cups soup for 7 points, which is very filling and I actually couldn't always finish it.  So, one cup may be enough, depending on how much you eat. 

Amazing, Creamy Fire-Roasted Tomato, Basil, Parmesan, and Vegetable Soup
2 stalks Celery, finely minced
2 medium Carrots, finely minced
1/2 medium Onion, finely minced
2 cloves Garlic, finely minced
1 tablespoon Olive Oil
15 oz Fire Roasted Tomatoes
1/2 tablespoon dried Basil (I couldn't find fresh on late notice, fresh is probably better as per the original recipe)
1/2 teaspoon Oregano
1/2 teaspoon Salt
1/4 teaspoon Pepper
2 cups Chicken Broth
2 tablespoons Butter
2 tablespoons Flour
1/2 cup Parmesan, grated
1/2 cup Milk (room temperature)
1/2 cup Heavy Cream (room temperature)
Don't let the large ingredient list throw you, so worth it.
Mmmm, fresh vegetables! 
I used my food processor to finely mince all my vegetables (and peel the carrots or wash them really, really well), including the tomatoes.  However, you could do it by hand to your size preference. 
This seems a bit blurry and verrrry orange! 
Heat oil in a large soup pot over medium heat.  Add vegetables and saute for 5-6 minutes. 
Sautéing the veggies. 
Add tomatoes, chicken broth, and seasonings.  Bring to a boil, reduce heat and simmer for about 15 minutes.
I ran my tomatoes through the food processor, too, but you don't have to.
In a separate pan, melt butter over low heat and add flour.  Stir constantly for 3-5 minutes.
Be careful not to scorch it. 
Add in 1 cup of soup and stir well until thickened.  Add another cup of soup and repeat.
It will thicken almost immediately. 
Return thickened soup back to pot and stir well for several minutes, or until the soup is all thickened. 
Steamy!...I need a new camera...
Add parmesan cheese, stir. 
I think you could even diminish the parmesan if you want it even
lower fat, but it adds such a great flavor. 
Add milk/cream combo, whatever you are using.  Simmer for 15-20 minutes stirring occasionally.
It is best if your milk is room temperature or slightly warmed. 
You can serve with additional parmesan or fresh basil.  Enjoy! 
Yum! 
Just LOOK at this texture.  It is amazing.  Simply amazing.
Ok, I'll stop now.  But go make this soup!

No comments:

Post a Comment