Monday, September 1, 2014

Single-Serving Meatloaf

I have a long and turbulent relationship with meatloaf...AKA I couldn't figure it out.  I could never get my meatloaf to stick together, the outside would be burnt but the inside was soggy, it wasn't flavorful enough, it was too seasoned, you name it and I had that problem.  I use a recipe based on this one from Reservation for Two, but I make 2 small loaves and bake them on a slotted pan, to allow dripping.  I really need to get a special meatloaf pan that has that bottom on it...Oh well!
Just so you know, this is on a small bread plate.  I promise it isn't huge! 
Wait, did I tell you I got a kitchen scale?  I DID!  I'm so excited.  It's KitchenAid and it is perfect. I've been waiting forever to find one and this one was on sale, so I snagged the last one they had.  It is so much easier to portion now, particularly chicken, which was always difficult to decide "how many servings is that massive frozen chicken breast?"  Now I'll know!

So, meatloaf.  This isn't necessarily a healthy entree, but it is delicious and hearty.  You can eat it alone or make it into a sandwich, which can make it stretch further.  This makes about enough for two people.  I don't always finish mine, but luckily I know someone (plus two dogs) who will...

Meatloaf - 8 WWP+ per Loaf (16 total)
Ingredients
1/2 lb LEAN Ground Meat (Again, I'm trying to use up my venison, but you can use beef or turkey)
1/2 Red Bell Pepper, diced
1/4-1/2 of a medium Onion, diced
1 tbsp Olive Oil
1 clove garlic, minced
1 tsp Thyme
1 Egg
1/3 cup Breadcrumbs
1/3 cup Ketchup, plus more for topping
1 tbsp Steak Sauce
Salt & Pepper to taste

Preheat oven to 400 degrees F.  Next, heat up your olive oil over medium-low heat in a skillet.  Add bell pepper and onion.  Cook until soft, then add garlic.  Cook another 30 seconds or so and then remove from heat and let cool.

In a bowl, mix together meat, thyme, egg, breadcrumbs, ketchup, and steak sauce.

Add cooled peppers & onions and mix together.  Salt & pepper to taste.

Form two loaves, top with ketchup if desired, and place on a greased pan.  If your meat is lean enough, any pan will do. I use a slotted roasting pan over an aluminum foil lined baking sheet.  Bake for 35-40 minutes or until loaves are set and cooked through.

Serve! These are hardy and filling.  They also make great sandwiches for lunch the next day!

No comments:

Post a Comment