Tuesday, March 4, 2014

Better Late Than Never: My Favorite Chili Recipe!

It's been forever since I wrote a post, sorry!  By forever I mean, like a week and a half.  But still, I had been doing so well!  Things just get busy, I suppose.  I have a lot of projects lined up, so hopefully I can get to sewing, crafting, and cooking more...but probably not until after my vacation next week!  Jess & I are headed to Myrtle Beach for a wedding and then I get to spend a few days with my bestie in North Carolina, yay!  To hold y'all over until then, here's an easy recipe for scrumtious chili!

 
Spicy! 
I'm not normally a fan of chili. I mean, it's alright, but it doesn't quite excite me like it does some people. However, with enough cornbread and crackers I can enjoy a bowl every now and then. This never-ending winter has left me needing some more hot, spicy (sometimes), and filling dishes, thus, I made chili the other day. I've made this same recipe before, but I did it in the crockpot. This one I did in a pot on the stove: same results. So it is really whichever you prefer. It is easy, pretty cheap, and makes enough to feed an entire football team. Seriously, Jess and I ate chili for days. He's not complaining or if he is it isn't to me! Ha. But really, if you aren't trying to eat the same thing for 5-6 meals, maybe you should half this recipe or make all of it and freeze some, I've heard that works.

Ingredients:
2 lbs ground meat (I've used beef & turkey with good results)
1 onion, diced
4 cloves garlic, minced
2 (15 oz) cans Pinto Beans, rinsed and drained
24 oz (roughly) of tomato sauce (for me this was one large and one small can)
3.5 cups beef broth
1 (6 oz) can tomato paste
1 (7 oz) can chopped green chilis OR 1-2 fresh diced jalapenos (if you use the jalapenos, cook them with the onions)
2 TBSP chili powder
1 TBSP steak sauce
3 TSP cumin
2 TSP Cayenne pepper (this makes it pretty spicy, reduce if you're not into hot foods)
1 TSP paprika
1 TSP hot sauce

It's as simple as this:

Brown your meat, drain, set aside.

Cook onions in a little bit of olive oil (or the grease from meat) until soft and transluscent. Add garlic and cook another 1-2 minutes.

Mix everything together in a large pot (or crock pot) and bring to a boil. Reduce heat to simmer, cover, and let cook for a few hours so all the flavors meld together. I let mine cook for about 4 hours, but I'm sure it would be delicious after 1.

I also cooked a few cups of bowtie pasta to mix in (I like it, some think it's blasphemous) and made cornbread muffins. You can serve with garnishes like sour cream or shredded cheese.

No comments:

Post a Comment