Saturday, March 29, 2014

Why I'm Obsessed with Coconut Oil and Why You Should Be, Too!

So I'm sure you've heard the craze about coconut oil over the last year(ish) and I'm here to push you further into it! I LOVE COCONUT OIL! It is seriously the best multi-use product I've come across - I use it in the bathroom and in the kitchen. I must be completely honest and say you have to like the smell and to some extent the taste of coconut to use the oil like I do, but if it doesn't bother you then keep on reading. Here I'm going to provide you with some examples of how I use coconut oil and why, and then I've got some great links to other articles and blog posts from around the web about it, too.
via Google...
I bought my first jar of organic coconut oil from TJ Maxx (lovvvve) after reading about its moisturizing properties in a magazine. My scalp was kind of dry, so I read that you rub a little bit of oil on it before going to bed, sleep, then just wash it out in the shower and voila: moisturized scalp without it looking or feeling oily. Well I tried it and it totally worked. That escalated and I started using it as a moisturizer on my arms and legs before I went to bed in the winter because they were all itchy against my sheets. It worked, too! Since then I've pretty much been obsessed with it.

A little description of coconut oil: it is a solid (gross comparison, but similar consistency to lard) at room temperature, and then when it gets heated up just a little, like in your hands, it turns to a liquid. So all you have to do is scoop a bit out and warm it up in your hands and just like that you have a spreadable liquid! I just keep a spoon with my jar so I can easily get the oil out once it is down below where my hand can reach.

Here are some ideas on how to use it (there are plenty more, this is just what I use it for):

1. scalp & hair mask - just take about 1-2 tablespoons (depending on how much hair you have), melt it a little in your hands and then smooth from scalp to tips of your hair. Your hair will look like you haven't washed it in weeks, but it'll smell great and when you wash it out you'll feel refreshed and your hair will be oh so soft! I do this right before bed, and sleep with it in my hair then wash it out in the morning. It will leave an oily residue on your pillowcase, but it smells great and as long as you wash your sheets regularly it shouldn't be a big deal.

2. hair detangler and smoother - rub a bit of oil on any feisty tangles or JUST A BIT on the ends of styled hair to keep flyaways and ragged ends away. I emphasize just a bit because it is an oil and too much will make your hair look like you put oil in it, you feel me? I use it if I'm going to go swimming - I pretty much saturate my hair with coconut oil and just twist it up (ish, for those of you who know me, you know that my hair is too short to actually put up, but I can pull it back) and then when the day is done, the tangles are much easier to comb out.

3. moisturizer - I use this all over my body, so I just keep scooping out oil and warming it up until I've covered everwhere that needs it. Focus on dry places like elbows and knees! Don't forget about your face and lips! It may look oily at first, but after a few minutes it will soak into your skin and look good as new.

4. facial cleanser - mix a small spoonful of coconut oil with a pinch of baking soda, rub over face gently, then wipe away gritty reside with a warm, wet cloth. The coconut oil should stay on your skin as a bonus bit of moisture, too.

5. blemish remover - coconut oil has tons of anitbacterial and antifungal properties. So when you feel a zit coming along (or you don't need to feel it because it is right there staring you in the eyes saying that it is going to ruin your day) take a hefty (maybe 1/8 teaspoon, haha) glob and smear it over the spot. Do this a few times a day as you feel nevessary until the spot has reduced!

6. cuticle care - don't want to buy expensive (for tiny little tubes! what a rip-off!) cuticle care creams? just rub a bit of coconut oil into your cuticles and push them back/care for them as usual. I used to just use regular lotion to soften my cuticles, but I always did it when I was planning on doing a manicure and that made my hands all slick and stuff, coconut oil absorbs better and quicker so as to not hinder the nail-doing-process.

7. baking - making brownies that call for 1/2 cup oil? use coconut oil! I use it in any kind of sweet baking mix that calls for vegetable or canola oil. You can't really taste the coconut, but I like to think it adds a little something extra. I've not been brave enough to use it as a cooking oil like in a frying pan, but I know a lot of people do. I just don't really want my fried chicken to taste like it's from West Palm Beach, but that's just me.


So those are the ways that I'm currently using it. However, I just read about this thing called "oil pulling" and I think I'm going to try it. It seems too good to be true, but knowing what I know about the benefits of coconut oil, I can't help but believe it! I'll just let FashionLush tell you about oil pulling, if you're interested.

Here are some other sites I've found documenting the wonders of coconut oil:
Coconut Oil Moisturizing Hair Treatment
50 Best Uses for Coconut Oil
ANOTHER 50 Uses for Coconut Oil
20 Frugal Ways to Use Coconut Oil

You can find it on Amazon.com or at your grocery store in the organic section, Trader Joe's, or TJ Maxx in the cooking section.
via Google, again...

What do you use coconut oil for? Anything I'm missing in my daily routine?

No comments:

Post a Comment