Thursday, April 3, 2014

Look, I Made This: Burlap Wreath, Round II


So some of you may know that a few months ago I made myself a small burlap wreath to hang on our front door.  Since then, I've made a few others for gifts and they turned out quite a bit fancier than my first one, so I thought I'd lend a little direction on how to upscale your wreath!

The one featured in this post was a wedding shower gift for my dear friend, Katie, who is getting married in May.  A wreath is a great wedding shower gift because they are easily customizable and personalized.  This particular one includes tulle and colored ribbon accents, a painted single-letter monogram, and coordinating flowers.

Here's what you need:
Wreath frame
Roughly 40 feet of burlap
20-30 feet of 4 inch tulle, in cream or coordinating color to your preferences
15-20 feet of ribbon
Wooden letter of your choice
Paint for letter (or you can buy the pre-painted white ones)
Flowers matching your color scheme
Wreath wire (not pictured)
Hot glue gun & glue (not pictured)
Most of the supplies, including a painted letter - sorry I skipped that step
in the photos. 
First, paint your letter if you want to.  I usually do about 3 coats of color, depending on the shade.  If you want, you can seal it with Mod Podge or Acrylic sealant spray...I didn't...
This will take about a day to completely dry, so plan accordingly.
Hey, I'm already done! 

Now that you're ready to start the wreath, why don't you head on over to this post and read where to purchase your frame and how to weave your burlap in and out of the sections.

Weaving

All finished! 
Once you have filled in all spaces and gaps with burlap it is time to add the tulle & ribbon.  I do tulle first, cutting it in sections a few feet long and then just gently pulling it in and around the burlap.  You use much less this way than if you wind it WITH the burlap from the beginning.  This way you can just fluff up enough to accent however you want.  After that, do the same thing with the colored ribbon.  You can do it more arbitrary than pictured, I just chose to roughly follow the same pattern as the tulle.
Tulle, a bit close.

FInished with the tulling. 

Adding some color...

Ribbon & tulle completed! Including my feet....awkward. 

Once you're finished with the wreath-wrapping, decide where you want your letter and your flowers.  There a several options; I chose T in top right corner and hydrangeas in bottom left, but I've done it opposite before and you could even put your letter in the center or on the same side as the flowers. Just lay your wreath down and move the accents around until you get them how you want.   When you're sure, carefully look at where your letter overlaps with the metal frame of the wreath and use a marker to put a dot on those places on the back.  Be careful when choosing, these are where your wires will hold the letter so if they aren't in the correct position, then it will be crooked and look awkward.  Fixable, but annoying.

Now, cut two pieces of wreath wire about 10 inches long and hot glue the middle of them onto the dots you marked.  Let dry.

Attach your letter, making sure to wrap wire around the metal frame and not just the burlap, otherwise it won't be secure.

Attach your flowers, using wire if you need to; I didn't.  Usually floral bouquet stems are wired so you can bend them as needed to secure them.  You can add a hanger piece of burlap to the top if you want (I didn't to this one...) by cutting a strip, putting it through, and stitching and backstitching it several times across.
Finished wreath - hanging on my front door for scale...a bit crooked, might I add. 
Voila!  Fancy, personalized decor for the front door or somewhere else in your home.  Or make one as a gift!  If you have any questions, feel free to comment below.

No comments:

Post a Comment