Monday, April 28, 2014

Homemade Dog Treats

Look at these cuties. 
I love my doggies.  If you've read more than one post on this blog, then I'm sure you already knew this - shoot, I named it after them!  I love to give them treats, but they are expensive and probably not the healthiest for them.  I mean, most of the time there are ingredients that I can't even pronounce and if they are organic/natural ingredients then I sure as hell cannot afford them!  So, solution: make my own!  If you haven't noticed, that is my answer to many things.

Here you have a recipe for basic beef & cheddar dog biscuits.  I've made several varieties (peanut butter, pumpkin, etc.), but these seem to be my pups' favorite.  You could do a mixed batch with a little of everything to see their preferences, but usually they'll eat about anything!  These turn out with a consistency about like pizza crust, so if you have a dog with eating/teeth difficulties this may be a problem, use your best judgement.  As a side-note, I have also thrown in bacon bits (real bacon crumbled, not packaged stuff) and that goes over pretty well (DUH), but it is a rare occasion that I have an abundance of bacon, so do that as you please.

Ingredients:
2 1/2 cups flour (whole wheat flour or rice flour is best, but I just had all-purpose) + more for rolling
1 cup beef broth
3/4 cup shredded cheddar cheese (I use marble)
1 egg
2 tablespoons parlsey, dried or fresh chopped
Doesn't require much. 
Preheat oven to 400 degrees.

Mix together all ingredients in a medium-sized bowl, adding more flour as needed to prevent sticking.  Lay it on a floured surface and roll out to about 1/2 inch or so.  Cut out and lay on a baking sheet covered with parchment paper.
Make sure your surface & your hands are well-floured. 
I used two cookie sheets.
Bake for 15 minutes.  If you want them to look shiny like store-bought treats you can brush a whipped egg white or a tiny bit of vegetable oil over them before you bake them - I didn't.
Gooey cheese!
Feed them to your pup and watch them go crazy!  Keep them in a sealed container or ziploc bag in the refrigerator.  If you make more than you will use in a few weeks, you can freeze them, too.
Waiting patiently for their treats on the floor. Good puppies! 

No comments:

Post a Comment