Saturday, April 19, 2014

How to Mend Holes in Jeans


A hole, halfway stitched up
I have big thighs and unfortunately they frequently wear out my jeans quicker than I'd like.  Most pairs I own have at least one worn hole in them, sometimes two.  I used to be able to blame my legs on being a gymnast...yea, not so much since I haven't set foot in a gym for five years, haha.  Anyway, I'm here to tell you how to mend those holes! While most of mine are high on the inner leg of the jean, this method would work for holes anywhere.  I found it here, so if for some reason you cannot follow my directions or have questions, check out her link, it is quite good.

So here's what you need:
Offending jeans (haha, I make it sound so terrible)
Iron-on interfacing
Iron
Denim thread
Sewing machine & basic notions
Pretty basic supplies
First, turn your jeans inside out and cut a piece of interfacing to completely cover the hole.

Iron it on - this took me a bit, I'd never worked with interfacing before and for some reason had trouble.  I wish you better luck, haha.

Now, turn your jeans back right-side out.  The basic idea is to sew back and forth across the hole.  Just keep stitching and backstitching until you've got thread completely covering the hole.  The interfacing underneath will stabilize it while the thread pull it together.

Trim off excess thread and the interfacing around the edge and you're finished!



No comments:

Post a Comment