Sunday, March 9, 2014

Tips & Tricks for Happy Apartment (or small home) Living

Sorry, only one stock photo today...I was lazy. 

So it says right up there at the top of the page: I live in a tiny apartment. It wasn't a huge deal to move into it, since I recently graduated college and have been living in dorm rooms, the sorority house, with lots of roommates, etc. However, Jess came from living in his own home so it took a bit of finagling to get all of our furniture to fit well in our one-bedroom apartment. We've lived here eight months now and it seems we are constantly acquiring new things and having to figure out where to put them or just small things to make a rental space feel more like home.

I have compiled a few ideas for how to maintain sanity in a small apartment (or a small house), particularly if you're renting and can't make the big changes you may want to.

1. Keep Things Tidy
This one isn't really a problem for me - ask any roommate I've ever had and they'll tell you I'm crazy about being picked up and clean. My room never (or rarely, maybe if I'm sick or just got back from vacation) has dirty clothes on the floor or shoes scattered about. I always make a point to put things back where they belong when I'm finished with them. This helps keep your already small space from feeling like it is getting smaller. Trust me, you'll be much more comfortable in a picked up apartment! Now if I could only convince Jess of this...

2. Have a Place for Everything
Part of keeping things tidy is organization: have a designated place to keep everything! I'm a huge fan of small tubs, crates, plastic boxes, etc. I have them in the kitchen cabinets, my bathroom, the closets, TV stand....you get the idea. Make it work for you, if it helps you to keep your chargers in your bedroom, then do it; if it helps you to keep your chargers with your other electronics in the living room, then do that. Organization is completely dependent on the person who has to use it, so make sure it is functional for you. It is pretty easy to find dual-purpose organizational tools, as well. We have a nice leather ottoman that opens up to store things, so that is where we keep extra blankets in the living room. The lid also flips over, so it can be a comfy footrest or it has a flat wooden side that can be used for a coffee table. Efficiency! I also reccomend decorative pieces that have more than one function. For example, we have a cute glass-top table that has a small wine rack under it, so on the table we have wine-related paraphenalia (a container for corks, a cute little trinket, etc.) including a wine carrier with a lid...we keep bags in it for when we walk the dog! It's decorative AND practical!

3. Decorate
A lot of people have the mentality that if it is a rental space, they won't be there for long so it isn't a big deal to live in a bare apartment...but those people are wrong. Seriously, just putting some things up on the walls can do wonders for making you feel at home. We have AT LEAST 15 photo frames in our living room alone. They them! They've got pictures of our families, puppies, friends, etc. I am a photo-buff, so it makes sense that I would have framed pictures everywhere, but even if you only have one picture you like, get it blown up to a 5x7 or 8x10, buy an inexpensive frame from Wal-Mart or TJ Maxx (another great place for apartment therapy stuff), and set it up somewhere. Hang stuff on the walls! We have a few canvases up, a medium-sized decorative mirror (mirrors make rooms look larger!), and a cute coat hanging rack with a white shelf above it. It also helps to add bookshelves. They can be used to store books (duh...we have three already - insert sheepish grin) but they can also be used for photo frames or candles. We love candles, too.
My last decorating tip can be summed up in two words: Kroger. Flowers. I am a sucker for fresh flowers; to me they just make the room look so much more inviting and pretty! However, florists are crazy expensive and I've found that flowers from the grocery store last about the same amount of time (with proper care) and are much cheaper. I rarely even buy them full price! Check out your local Kroger (or Marsh, maybe Meijer) and ask the person at the floral counter where the discounted bouquets are. I am frequently finding bouquets of Lillies (my favorite), Daisies, mixed flowers, Roses, and more for $0.50-$3.00. I asked once and the lady there told me that they discount them (dramatically!) when the first flower either opens (in the case of flowers like Lillies that come closed) or begins to wilt. I don't know if ya'll have ever had flowers but you can make them look presentable for DAYS after these things start to happen, so buy them, put them in some water and admire your cheap, fancy decor! Don't forget to change the water every 2-3 days and clip the stems (at a diagonal) every 1-2 days, or follow the care instructions included.

4. Get a Pet OR Get Outside
So this one is more of an avoidance/cover-up, haha. I highly recommend getting a dog or a cat. I LOVE LOVE LOVE animals and I have always had pets. Now, Jess and I have two of the sweetest doggies and it makes life so much better and more enjoyable, even living in a tiny little apartment. Don't get me wrong, they are a lot of work and expensive. Before getting a pet you HAVE to determine whether or not you can afford it. This includes food, treats (they've gotta have them! I bake my own, I'll share sometime), vet bills, monthly flea/tick/heartworm medicine, and other various things like if you are going to get them groomed professionally or not. You also need to consider what you will do if and when you go out of town. Will they go with you? Do you have someone that can keep them? Can you afford to board them at a pet hotel? It's a huge undertaking, but if you think it can work, I highly recommend it. Cats are less work than dogs, but also usually less rewarding - they don't show affection like dogs do.
If you're not into pets, get out! I mean, get out of the apartment and do something. Get a hobby, join a club, etc. If your apartment is small and not very homey, then don't spend any more time than you have to in it. Go for walks, go window (or real, if you're fancy) shopping, go to the zoo, the park, or a friend's house to hang out. There are plenty of things to do to keep you busy. Jess and I love to go to the movies and we've found that if you go during the day it is so much cheaper! Here, the AMC theater is only $6 before noon and $7.50 until 4pm, talk about a deal! Remember, this one is an either/or type of situation - don't go getting a pet and then staying out every day, because then your poor puppy or kitty will be lonely!


I hope these tips help you like they've helped me - apart from it being an apartment and having neighbors, landlords, and the common living problems, I really like our apartment and I'm always looking for more to make it a home. Comment if you have any other ideas, tips, or tricks!

No comments:

Post a Comment