Monday, July 20, 2015

Meatless Monday: Black Bean & Butternut Squash Enchiladas

It's been 8 months (almost exactly...WEIRD) since my last post. First the holidays happened, then my sewing machine broke (ugh), then it just got pushed to the back of my mind. However, I've had several requests for more recipes so I'm here to try to get back on the wagon. But since then, I've been to Vegas and Tennessee, so yay for traveling!

I've recently tried a few vegetarian recipes over the last few months, mainly for healthy options. Never fear: I love bacon..and beef...and chicken...yea I'm definitely not a vegetarian. Jess has come back with mixed reviews on them, but I'm still trying. He got two bites into this one before asking, "So, what all is in this?" To which I had to respond, "No meat, because I know that's what you're looking for." Regardless, he ate them without complaint, so we will be adding this to the rotation.
Mmmmm...
These enchiladas are seriously amazing; they have great texture, amazing flavor, just a bit of spice, and the cheese on top just makes it all feel like an enchilada should feel. Yea, that sounds weird, but it is true. I found the recipe at SkinnyTaste and I think it is pretty much the same except I did not use cilantro (I'm one of those).

I served this with a little bit of Spanish rice and Jess ate his with tortilla chips. I had never cooked with butternut squash before so I actually had to look up what the hell to do with it...but it was easy! The Kitchn has a great tutorial that shows you exactly what you need to know about cubing butternut squash. These were a bit spicy, so if you are sensitive to that you can omit the jalapeno and use mild Ro-Tel. And these are big: I didn't even need rice to complete the meal, I definitely could have just eaten two enchiladas and been satisfied.

Black Bean & Butternut Squash Enchiladas

Ingredients:
1/2 small onion, diced
1 jalapeno, diced
3 cloves garlic, minced
1 tsp olive oil
10 oz Ro-Tel
15 oz black beans, drained and rinsed
2 cups cubed butternut squash
2 green onions, sliced thin, divided
1 teaspoon cumin
1 teaspoon chili powder
salt and pepper to taste
1/4 cup water
6 flour tortillas, taco size
11 oz red enchilada sauce
3/4 cup Monterey Jack cheese
Nothing too crazy, pretty standard ingredient list 
Preheat oven to 400 degrees F. Pour a bit of enchilada sauce in bottom of deep baking dish, just enough to cover the bottom.

Heat olive oil in large skillet and saute the onion and jalapeno for 5-10 minutes or until the onions are translucent and soft. Add garlic and cook for 1-2 more minutes, until fragrant.
The smell coming off this is amazing...
Throw in squash, black beans, Ro-Tel, half of the green onion, water, and seasonings.
So many colors! So many flavors! 
Bring to a simmer, cover, and cook 30-35 minutes until the squash is tender. Stir occasionally, adding more water if it dries out.
This could just be eaten by itself. 
Make 6 enchiladas and lay them seam-down in the pan.


Top with remaining enchilada sauce, cheese, and green onion.

Bake 10 minutes until cheese is melted and bubbly.
Cheesy goodness
You'll never complain about Meatless Monday again...maybe...
Instructions:
1. Preheat oven to 400 degrees F. Pour a bit of enchilada sauce in bottom of deep baking dish.
2. Heat olive oil in large skillet. Add onion and jalapeno, saute 5-10 minutes or until the onions are translucent and soft. Add garlic and cook 1-2 more minutes.
3. Add squash, black beans, Ro-Tel, half of the green onion, water, and seasonings. Bring to a low simmer, cover, and cook 30-35 minutes until the squash is tender. Stir occasionally, adding more water if it dries out.
4. Form 6 enchiladas and place seam-down in the pan. Top with remaining enchilada sauce, cheese, and green onion.
5. Bake 10 minutes until cheese is melted.

GIMME. 

No comments:

Post a Comment