Thursday, August 6, 2015

Strawberry Cake with homemade Rainbow Chip Frosting

Did you know that Betty Crocker's Rainbow Chip Frosting was discontinued? And then brought back? Only to be hard as hell to find? Well it was and is.

When my bestie was coming to visit to celebrate her 25th birthday I knew I had to make her a cake, duhhhhh! Her favorite is rainbow chip, no big deal.

Or so I thought.

I couldn't find it anywhere (the frosting, I was making a different cake, more on that later). So I started Googling. Sure enough, it was discontinued about a year ago. People apparently went crazy and even started a petition to bring it back! Which, Betty Crocker obliged and it was in production again. I went everywhere: Kroger(s), Marsh(es), and Target(s). I looked online: Target, Walmart, Amazon, eBay (SERIOUSLY?!). I asked at one Target and the guy stocking the shelves laughed at me. HE LAUGHED AT ME. So basically the moral of the story is: rainbow chip frosting is as elusive as a snipe.

Next step: Pinterest homemade rainbow chip frosting. SUCCESS. Ali McDerment posted a recipe on her blog and that's the one I used. However, in the future I would adjust, so I'm going to give you the new recipe with adjustments. The original had too many rainbow chips (I know, I know, how??) and it made it difficult to spread and was tearing up my cake. I also did not use my own frosting because...time. Haha.

I used a recipe for a strawberry cake-half-from-a-box from Call Me PMC and loved the way it turned out. That is below the recipe for rainbow chips...which is actually super easy, by the way.

Ingredients (Rainbow Chip Frosting)
6 oz white chocolate chips
Food coloring
1 container vanilla or cream cheese (or whatever) cake frosting
....yes, that is all.

Instructions
I have no photos of this...sorrrryyyy. Go to the website above, she has photos. Divide the white chocolate chips between 4 small bowls (I know it doesn't seem like a lot, but it will be). Working one bowl at a time, melt completely by microwaving and stirring every 10-15 seconds. Add 3-5 drops food coloring, depending on how vibrant you want your chips, and stir well. Pour onto a parchment (or wax) paper lined baking sheet and spread thin. The thinner the chocolate, the easier it is to cut up. Put in the freezer for about an hour, remove and cut up into desired-size pieces. Mix into frosting. The end.


Ingredients (Strawberry Cake)
1 package cake mix (I used Rainbow Chip)
1 3 oz package of Strawberry Jello
1 cup diced strawberries
1/2 cup vegetable oil
1/2 cup whole milk (I used 1/4 cup 1% milk and 1/4 cup heavy cream)
4 eggs

Instructions
Preheat oven to 350 and lightly grease desired baking pan, I used 8" round. Combine all ingredients and mix for 3 minutes, scraping down sides as needed. Divide in half (for layer cake) and pour into baking pan, bake as directed on box. Mine was for 28-32 minutes.

Let cool. I recommend freezing for about 30 minutes before frosting, it makes it easier.


No comments:

Post a Comment